Wednesday, July 4, 2007

7/4/07 San Antonio

It was a relief to see my family and friends waiting for me at the airport. I was so excited to be home but sad that the trip had come to it's final end.

I'll never forget Spain and now as I show pictures and talk about all the wonderful places we visited it makes me kind of sad to know that I don't know when I will be going back. But one thing is for sure, I have to go back.


This trip made me realize a lot of things about myself and also the culture and the very different world I never new till now. A major thing I learned about myself when we were traveling around Spain is that I wasn't responsible. You know being at home is different and I thought that I was pretty good at managing time and being able to keep up with work, but as the first days went by I could see that I was awful at being on time. Then I hardly ever wanted to do the readings. I mean it was my first time in Spain and all that I wanted to do was do my own thing and not worry about school work. But I changed my mind set immediately when I was warned of the consequences of not being on time and not reading and doing the work.

Usually on the bus we had our class sessions and Mariana and Denise were always in good spirits talking about what we were supposed to read and how our learning's would help us with blog writing and knowing where we were and how it would give us a little insight of the places we would see. That helped us tremendously throughout the whole trip, I felt like I was always one step ahead of the Alaskan group because we were always given so much information ahead of time. If you did not read the readings then it was like you were always behind and didn't know what was going on and lucky for me I found out early on that the work was beneficial and not something to blow off. As for being on time, I really want to make sure that I am ahead of the game then behind everyone and being looked at. This trip taught me the importance of time, and how much that it not only affects you and makes you look bad but it hurts everyone on the trip.

Since were in the year 2007 I always thought the world was up to beat with all the new technology and new advances that have broken through. But being in Spain changed my mind dramatically. There are so many things that are different there that they have and don't have. I wonder what it would be like if Spain underwent an American intervention project. Where we stepped in and built larger roads and increased American food places and made everything less expensive. In the North for example like Bilbao and Pamplona it seems as if they are old ancient towns that refuse to develop. They are beautiful small cities, but they just don't look advanced. No huge tall buildings of economic importance, or sub divisions of housing. I wondered where the town lives at times. It's just a different culture all together and these places looked so homely and secure but small and out of reach with the world at the same time.

Spain is different and it will always be that way. I loved the towns we visited and the journey all over Spain I must say was a wonderful adventure that never really ends. I can't describe to you what it's like because you have to really experience it for your self to understand and see a culture that is amazing and full of tradition. This experience will never be forgotten and I hope that everyone in their lifetime gets the chance to see and experience all that I had the chance to.

No comments: